FINE ARTS SECTION
This section is primarily composed of paintings by local contemporary artists.
Among these paintings, the works of FRANCISCO LAMEYER (1825-1877) stand out. Lameyer was of the romantic era, and an african and oriental atmosphere may be found in his work, while at the same time one can appreciate Andalusian customs. Among his contributions, the "Lootig and burning of Rome" stands out.
Eulogio Varela (1868-1955) present traditional themes such as "The dance" or "The study of Berruguete", and his collection of "The libris", as well as modernist drawings, wel represented in his illustrations, engravings, and watercolors. The work of Enrique Ochoa (1891-1977) also offers a modernist glimpse. In his time he was known as the "painter of music", and is represented in this section by his "woman wit a black mantilla", "The poor poet" and "The dwarf" among others.
Among contemporary artists, the Museum offers the works of Rafael Alberti (1902), showing his very personal touch of combining painting and poetry in his "Lyricographs". Ricardo Summers "Serny" (1908) offers the female subjeet, in his "Repose" and "White Flowers" and he also has scenes from "Carnaval". Juan Lara (1921-1995), wifh his traditional realism, is represented by his watercolors, and he also toyches on the arabic influence with his "Moorisch girl with little birds". As for thedistinguished artist Manolo Prieto (1912), the Museum possesses an interesting sampling of posters as well as a series of erotic medals. The structuralist sculpture of Fernando Jesús (1924) is represented by a prestigious sampling of his work. Luis Ortega possess a beatiful and rigorous style, detail the local scenes.
The engraving of Antonio Ribera, ilustrated with poems written by R. Alberti, deserve special mention, as does the scultptor Pablo Serrano, whose work is dedicated to the pot.
Additionally, this section of the Museum has small paintings and sculptures, of a religious and historical nature, executed by anonymous artist from the XVII to XX centuries. Outstanding are portraits of Monarchs and a "Saint James", from the XVII century.
This section consists of material assets from our prehistoric and historic past.
In Paleontology, the remains of cetaceans, dogfish and bivalves, originating in El Manantial (final Tetiary), must be highlighted, as well as the jawbones and defenses of Elphanans Meridionalis and mastodontis from La Florida (Pliopleistocene).
The prehistoric deposits include the finding from El Aculadero (Archaic Inferior Paleolithic), considerd to be among the oldest in Europe. Matrial remains from the cultures of the Middle Paleolithic era and Postpaleolithic, found on the beaches of La Puntilla and Levante.
Remainds found in Catarranas and Las Viñas represent the Neolithic-Calcolithic era. The remains from these villages date to the third millennium B.C., and were the first sedentary population of the area.
The Late Bronce Age, "tartessico", from the last millennium, reflects intense populating as well as cultural ties with the talasocracias from the Western Mediterranea. The Tower of Doña Blanca and her necropolis, Las Cumbres, stand out for their historic importance. The first is from a finding of six levels of populations, beginning with the VIII century to the end of the IV century B.C., containing archeological discoveries from the easter phoenician period of the Western Mediterranean. Worth mentioning in the necropolis is burial mound nº. 1, with cremation tombs dating from thefindings exhibited at the Museum.
Romanization may be found in the countryside and on the coast, with amphora pottery shops, agricultural villages and rural necropoli, such as Las Viñas, from the I to IV centuries a. C.
The visigothic culture is represented in the findings from the El Barranco farm, with remains from the necropolis and daily items.
From the Middle Ages, the Museum has remais from Arabic farmsteads dating from the XIIand XIII centuries.
The archeological exhibit also includes items form the XVI to XIX centuries wich reflect the Ports relations with América.
FORMATIVE AND INFORMATIVE ACTIVITIES OF THE CITU MUSEUM
Provisional location: C/Pagador, 1, Ground Floor.
Telephone: 956 542705 or 956 542775.
Visiting Hours: 10,00 to 14,00 (from Monday to Saturday ) or by prior arrangement for agreed upon visits.
|Área de Cultura
Plaza del Ave María, 2
Edificio San Luís
11500 El Puerto de Santa María (Cádiz)
Tlfno. (34) 956 86 00 22
|Administrador del sistema